Dear Seniors in Psychology,
This is your DUS.
1. BA/BS degree
We are working on clearing you for graduation. Because the BS/BA degree information on registrar’s records may not be accurate, we would like to verify it. I had conducted a survey on this, and the responses I have so far are shown here.
If your information is missing or inaccurate, DO NOT REPLY to this e-mail. Instead, submit your responses here by April 5th.
Once I receive all your senior essays, I will verify BS degree eligibility (i.e., empirical research) for those who indicated that they expect a BS degree.
(If you have already submitted your senior essay during the fall term, you may ignore the rest of the e-mail.)
2. Deadlines for Senior Essays
If you are writing a senior essay this term (i.e., the so-called “substantial paper” with more than 5,000 words), the deadline is for students who are not seeking Distinction. For students who are seeking , it is due (it is sooner because we need to assign it to a second reader).
3. How to submit your senior essay
- You will receive an email from Box to accept an invitation to your folder. Once you accept, by clicking on the “view folder” link, you will be routed to a CAS log in screen - log on with your NetID and password.
- After you log in, access the folder with your Last Name. Once you are in your folder, select UPLOAD from the top right corner, then FILE to upload your document. Upload a copy of your senior essay and Advisor approval. The Essay must be a “clean” version, with no comments. For Advisor approval, please obtain an email from your advisor indicating that he/she has read and approved the submitted version, and save it as a PDF of an email approval or screenshot. The Essay and Advisor approval must be uploaded by the deadline.
- If you are seeking distinction, please upload your Senior Essay to your folder in Box and complete the Senior Essay Distinction Survey by April 20th. The survey will ask for basic information (e.g., title, your advisor’s information) and a suggestion for a senior reader. In suggesting second readers, please keep in mind that if your advisor is not a primary faculty member of Department of Psychology, the second reader will have to be a primary faculty member in the Department of Psychology.
- There are two senior essay awards for Psych majors. Your advisor has received the nomination information. If not, they can email me to request the link for nomination. The decision for senior awards will be made right before the graduation in May.
Dear Juniors majoring in Psychology,
(If your major is Computer Science and Psychology, please ignore this message.)
It is now time for you to think through your senior requirement plan. We require that you submit the plan by April 29th so that I can review your plan and talk to you before you leave campus if I see any problems. Please see below for details.
(1) Senior requirements;
Majors are required to earn two course credits from courses numbered PSYC 400–499. At least one of these course credits must be taken during the senior year, for which a student must write a substantial final paper (a minimum of 5,000 words) and receive a letter grade, which excludes PSYC 490-495 that can only be taken Pass/Fail.
More detailed explanations for senior requirements are provided in the PDF file of the presentation given at the senior requirement orientation meeting in March. Click here to download the file.
(2) Senior Seminar Preregistration
- Preregistration for senior seminars has been completed, and you can no longer preregister for a senior seminar. If you would like to take a senior seminar as part of your senior requirement and have not pre-registered for one, you need to talk to the instructors.
- If you preregistered for a senior seminar, you should have received an e-mail from me about your assignment.
- You are not required to take the assigned course.
- If you do not show up on the first day of class, your slot will be given away.
- If you want to switch your seminar choice, you need to talk to the instructors.
- The list of senior seminars for 2018-2019 is shown here.
(3) How to submit your senior requirement plan
Your senior requirement plan will be collected online through a Qualtrics survey. I am attaching the list of questions to be asked so that you can be prepared before starting the survey. In short, you need to know;
1. Whether you are seeking Distinction in the major or a BS degree
2. Which 400-level course(s) you would complete by the end of this term
3. Which 400-level course(s) you plan to take next year
Enter your senior requirement plan here by April 29th, 5pm.
- You can count the pre-registered senior seminar as one of the 400-level courses you take.
- If you are seeking Distinction in the major or are pursing a BS degree, you must take Psyc 499, and you should find the tutorial advisor for Psyc 499 and obtain approval by April 29th.
- If you plan to take Psyc 493 (1 credit, pass/fail tutorial course) or Psyc 495 (0.5 credit, pass/fail tutorial course), you should find the tutorial advisor for the course obtain approval by April 29th.
- The senior requirement plan will ask you to enter the tutorial advisor’s name and email address, and as soon as you submit the plan, an email will be triggered to the advisor to confirm the approval.
- The PDF file from the orientation meeting briefly explains how to find a tutorial advisor. Check here under “Research Experiences” for more information.
- You may also find the research positions here.
(4) Why do you need to submit your senior requirement plan?
- This is for me to check whether you can graduate on time.
- Also, once you leave campus, it will be MUCH harder for you to find a senior essay advisor, so you should do it now, if you haven’t done so.
C. Need more help?
Please email email@example.com with any questions. If you would like to set up a meeting with me, please email me and and give me any many options as possible for meeting times.