(DUS e-mail sent out to Juniors on April 17, 2017)
Dear Juniors majoring in Psychology,
As the DUS of Psychology, I would like to explain how to submit your seniorrequirement plan and to pre-register for senior seminars 2017-2018. If you have not given serious thought into your senior requirement plans, you should read this email very carefully and start looking for a tutorial advisor right away if you need one.
A. Pre-registering for senior seminars
As you know, most senior seminars are difficult to get in, so through the following pre-registration process, we guarantee one senior seminar for all rising seniors.
1. The list of all senior seminars offered during 2017-2018 is shown here. Please look over the list, select 3 seminars, and rank order them.
2. Enter your rank order preferences here by April 21st, Sat, 11:59PM.
3. You will receive an email from me on Sunday, April 23rd in the evening announcing which seminar you are pre-registered.
B. Submitting your senior requirement plan
(1) Senior requirements;
Majors are required to earn two course credits from courses numbered PSYC 400–499. At least one of these course credits must be taken during the senior year, for which a student must write a substantial final paper (a minimum of 5,000 words) and receive a letter grade, which excludes PSYC 490-495 that can only be taken Pass/Fail.
More detailed explanations for senior requirements are provided in the PDF file of the presentation given at the senior requirement orientation meeting in March. Click here to download the file.
(2) How to submit your senior requirement plan
Your senior requirement plan will be collected online through a Qualtrics survey. I am attaching the list of questions to be asked so that you can be prepared before starting the survey. In short, you need to know;
1. Whether you are seeking Distinction in the major or a BS degree
2. Which 400-level course(s) you would complete by the end of this term
3. Which 400-level course(s) you plan to take next year
Enter your senior requirement plan here by May 5th, 5pm.
- You can count the pre-registered senior seminar as one of the 400-level courses you take.
- If you are seeking Distinction in the major or are pursing a BS degree, you must take Psyc 499, and you should find the tutorial advisor for Psyc 499 and obtain approval by May 5th.
- If you plan to take Psyc 493 (1 credit, pass/fail tutorial course) or Psyc 495 (0.5 credit, pass/fail tutorial course), you should find the tutorial advisor for the course obtain approval byMay 5th.
- The senior requirement plan will ask you to enter the tutorial advisor’s name and email address, and as soon as you submit the plan, an email will be triggered to the advisor to confirm the approval.
- The PDF file from the orientation meeting briefly explains how to find a tutorial advisor. Check here under “Research Experiences” for more information.
- You may also find the research positions here.
(3) Why do you need to submit your senior requirement plan?
- This is for me to check whether you can graduate on time.
- Also, once you leave campus, it will be MUCH harder for you to find a senior essay advisor, so you should do it now, if you haven’t done so.
C. Need more help?
Please email email@example.com with any questions. If you would like to set up a meeting with me, please email me and and give me any many options as possible for meeting times.
(DUS e-mail sent out on April 7, 2017)
- There are two senior essay awards Your advisor must nominate you by April 21st.
- Those who are nominated for senior awards must give a presentation on May 1st (Monday) s
- If you are seeking distinction and are nominated for senior essay awards, your second reader will be one of the senior essay award committee members. So you do not make a suggestion for a second reader for your senior essay.
- The decision for senior awards will be made right before the graduation in May and announced at the graduation ceremony.
The deadline for this semester’s senior essays is(Fri) distinction (Fri)
In suggesting second readers, please keep in mind that if your advisor is not a primary faculty member of Department of Psychology, the second reader will have to be a primary faculty member.